Thursday 16 February 2017

Leaving Lagbaja Was My Toughest Moment’ -Ego Ogbaro

Ego Ogbaro is a singer and former member of the Lagbaja’s Africano music band for over 10 years. She was known for hit songs like Konko Below, Nothing for you and Never far away. Ego left the Lagbaja band to pursue a solo career in 2007.

In an interview with Punch, Ego who is one the longest serving Glo ambassador speaks on her childhood, music career, relationship with her former band leader, Lagbaja.

See excerpts:

How did you meet Lagbaja and eventually become a member of his band?

I met him through Sunny Nneji, who was a friend to my friend. Lagbaja and Sunny Nneji were not yet solo acts at that time, and they belonged to the same band called Colours. My friend told him that I was a good singer, and after he heard me sing, he asked if I was interested in joining their band. I went for their audition and I was chosen.

You had an amazing chemistry with Lagbaja and people felt you were dating. What type of bond did you actually share?

It was a brother-sister, employer-employee and mentor-mentee bond. I learnt a lot of things from him because he saw the potential in me even before I saw it in myself. He used to encourage me to write songs a lot.

What was the toughest moment of your career?

That was when I decided to go solo. I thought it would be an easy transition for me because I had been in the industry for a while, but it didn’t turn out that way. I assumed that people already knew me but getting shows was quite challenging. I had to humble myself and go back to the drawing board. And by the grace of God, I’ve been able to overcome that.

What were the initial challenges you faced when you went solo?

For a long time, I had to move away from under Lagbaja’s shadow. People always referred to me as Lagbaja’s singer, and I wanted to carve a niche for myself as a solo, independent artiste.

Why exactly did you leave Lagbaja’s band?

When I left Lagbaja’s band, it was on peaceful terms. There was no fighting or hard feelings; I just felt it was time for me to start a new phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment